VI International Conference “Plant – the source of research material”, 10 – 12 September 2019, Lublin – Nałęczów, Poland
The increasing interest on industrial hemp_ For a long period the cultivation area of industrial hemp fluctuated between 10,000 and 15,000 ha. From 2012 and onwards the cultivation area is steadily increase, and in 2017 reached the 42,500 ha (Figure 1). It should be pointed out that this increase was observed mainly during the last three years.
Why use hemp as a phytoremediator?
Hemp plants are:
- tolerant to several heavy metals
- bioaccumulate heavy metals
- high biomass yielding
- fast growing (full maturation in 180 days)
- root can grow up to 1.5-2 m below ground
- well known cultivation technics
- low growing cost
- produced biomass can be used for several industrial purposes
Presented in the frame of PANACEA Project by Agricultural University of Athens – Department of Crop Science